Intro text

Now I'm not into simple stuff, I love complexity! What started out as "I want a panel to fit into my dining room window", now has become a full blown hobby. In particular, I love Tiffany lamps… I love the art deco era and Louis Comfort Tiffany has produced some amazing work which survives to this day, in particular, their lamp shades and panels.


Friday, January 31, 2014

Project - 16" Poppy Lampshade - Cutting and Grinding

In the past, I've done both dome lamps and cone lamps, since this is a cone lamp, the fitting will normally be tighter, so in order for me to do less soldering, I've taken a hint from a fellow stained glass artist, who photocopies her patterns to be smaller, normally 95-97% of actual size.  I'm err'ed on the side of caution and have photocopied to 97%.  This will leave me with a margin of error to be smaller, I may have to grind a bit more, but it's better than having solder lines to be too large.

Cut and ground the leaves first.  I organized them into the big leaves first, then cut the pieces off --  this was a time saver.



Had problems with selecting the parts of the background to use.  I decided to do a little sample first to see how the colours meld together.  Looking OK, still not sure of the background.




Did more… take a look at the background now…





it works beautifully.  Here is a panel, with the borders.




At this point, Ed came to take a look and since it's three repeats, we played around with moving the leaves, centres and flowers around to optimize on the flow and colours together.






No comments:

Post a Comment