Intro text

Now I'm not into simple stuff, I love complexity! What started out as "I want a panel to fit into my dining room window", now has become a full blown hobby. In particular, I love Tiffany lamps… I love the art deco era and Louis Comfort Tiffany has produced some amazing work which survives to this day, in particular, their lamp shades and panels.


Friday, January 31, 2014

Project - 16" Poppy Lampshade - Introduction and Glass Selection

My next project will be the 16" Poppy Lampshade.  I love the filigree work on this one.  It's a small one, at 16", it's cone shaped and will grace Ed's condo.

I'm taking inspiration from Scott Rigg's version:  16" poppy.  What I like about this particular lamp shade is the use of the background glass and the use of filigree, which I have never done before.  Scott uses the background as one contiguous piece which draws the eyes around the shade.  Absolutely stunning.

Ed loves bright colours and has a fascination with water.  He has two these two pictures on his living room wall.



The glass which I am using uses the same colours.  The background is key to this design and I'm using Oceana #702, which is a four colour mix, silver (which gives it the yellow), blue, greens and gold pinks.  For the poppies, I'll be using a salmon (orangey pink) colour Uroboros, plus a rippled Oceana which I have been hoarding for a number of years.  Trust me, you can't get this stuff anymore.

Here is my glass selection:

I'll use this special rippled glass for some of the poppies, the rippling will simulate the opening of the flower buds as it occurs in nature.


This will be the background glass, notice the movement of the steaks of colours and how it matches Ed's pictures.  It is way more difficult to do, but keeping the effect of the movement intact, in my opinion will make the lampshade seem alive.



Here I am, trying to fit the pattern pieces optimally to have the colours appear in the places that i want them to.



I haven't yet picked the main poppy colour, I'm looking for a salmon colour or orangey pink, pinky orange maybe?  A nice padparadscha?  is that even the name of a colour?  

I have some ideas for the leaves.  My goodies from Uroboros will arrive next week, so I'll have plenty more to pick from.

Had some help from friend Betty who has an extremely good eye and is an amazing photographer, we've finished the glass selection for Ed's lamp, here it is,

The greens for the leaves.


The main glass for the poppies.  I'll be using the variations in the colours to select choice pieces for the flowers.



Here is the entire palate.



No comments:

Post a Comment