Intro text

Now I'm not into simple stuff, I love complexity! What started out as "I want a panel to fit into my dining room window", now has become a full blown hobby. In particular, I love Tiffany lamps… I love the art deco era and Louis Comfort Tiffany has produced some amazing work which survives to this day, in particular, their lamp shades and panels.


Thursday, January 30, 2014

Project - 18" Clematis Lampshade - Soldering and Applying Patina

Here is the glass all foiled on the shade, it's all ready to solder.





Notice the 3" brass ring at the top?  I will solder the top pieces to this ring and it will hold the lamp shade together.  This ring will sit on top of the lamp base on a "wheel".



I estimate that it will take me about 8 to 10 hours to solder this lamp shade.  I will brush flux (acid) onto the copper foil, then use apply 60/40 lead solder to the joint.  I will tack the lamp together starting from the top, once tacked together, I will then go through and fill out all the joints from the outside.

Once complete, the next step is to remove the shade from the form.  Note that it will be stable enough for me to do so.  To do this step, I have two options, use a lamp or hair dryer on high heat which will melt the wax, or I can put the whole lamp in the oven.  I'm going to try to do the former as it's less messy.

Once removed and with most of the wax cleaned off the shade, I will then strengthen the entire shade by solder the inside joints.





At this point, I'm exhausted… and not really capable of doing the final finishing work, but here are some pictures.










1 comment:

  1. You did a nice job here.
    Thank you for the link, very kind from your part.
    In case I can help with information, email me pls.
    Elie

    ReplyDelete